Friday 10 January 2014

Yes I wet the bed!

Yes I wet the bed!
So I’m going to continue by writing about another seizure of mine, my second big fit. But firstly I would also like to acknowledge that there are various forms of epilepsy and in the grand scheme of things I’m mildly touched by it! One form of Epilepsy is ‘Petit Mal’, also known as Absences, which usually last hmmm...about 15 seconds I would say. In its prime I suffered probably about ten or more in a day, although at the time I would almost certainly deny it, as it was (well to me anyway) embarrassing. It’s kind of like day dreaming and more often than not looks like it too. You kind of phase out for a couple of seconds, even minutes’. You could be mid flow in conversation and then BAM! You just go blank. I hate them. Only because they make me look like an utter idiot; as sometimes when I snap back out of one I say random words. I remember once saying the word ‘Dog’ mid conversation. I mean I’ve always been slightly odd, but not odd enough to throw random words into the mix. I somehow tried to fit (no pun intended) it into the conversation to avoid embarrassment. I used to hate it when family members would say ‘you just had an abscense’ (yes thanks for that I’m fully aware no need to point it out!) I would strongly deny it and say I was daydreaming, maybe perhaps defending myself a little too much. Fortunately now I have got them more under control, or have learnt to talk my way out of them better!

 I know other individuals, children (shout out to the inspirational children at New hope) and close friends (cough cough Lauren) that suffer with these daily, but never complain. They just get on with it. Amazing. It still amazes me how people with severe epilepsy or even debilitating epilepsy or whatever condition they may have epilepsy or not, never seem to be caught moaning, never let it get them down or at least try not let it affect any one around them. So really I can’t complain. Hats off to you.

So let’s continue the 2nd big fit...which I can recall, was when I was happily sitting in my bed with a bowl of weetabix, I think I must have put too much milk in because they were extremely soggy. Mom tells me she had a gut feeling that morning once she left my room something wasn’t right and she needed to come up again. Good old mom, she was right. My arch enemy Epilepsy had struck again. The cunning little tyke. Again no warning, no signs, nada. My weetabix had managed to go up the wall in a phenomenal fashion; this is why I think I must have gone OTT with the milk. And to top off this terrific morning, I had wet the bed. That’s right folks, you heard it here first I had wet the bed. Not only this, oh no there is more. The night before I had been surrounded by children who were riddled with head lice. So before I went to bed I had put that horrible stinking head lice stuff on my head (you know the stuff girls, if you don’t you’re lying!) as a precaution. So not only did I stink of my own wee (I’m going to say wee to be polite) I also had crazy stinky lady hair and was covered in weetabix. WINNING! But in all seriousness I trying to make it light hearted otherwise you can dwell on these embarrassing moments too much. As a teenager this is a mortifying experience. However your body looses all control (more or less) over its functions when going into a grand mal ‘big’ seizure. There is so much the body is trying to contend with, keeping control of your bladder is the least of its problems when it’s trying to get you back up and running. So try not to dwell on it too much. Yea it’s embarrassing but you can’t control it, it’s one of the only times in your teenage/grown up life, where this is going to be acceptable!  
Again I remember feeling scared and unsure what was going on. I also remember crying because this was the first time it hit home it was epilepsy as it was my second fit, but I still couldn’t understand what was going on, what mom was saying or why I had to change my clothes, when In my head I wasn’t planning on going anywhere. I remember hearing two men, who turned out to be paramedics, voices outside my room urging me to get changed. I was changing into clothes Mum had quickly found to go in the Ambulance to hospital in. She picked out some 3 quarter length trackies and a sports top, not even a brand, actually it could of been Kappa....always keep it classy. I don’t know where and earth she acquired these clothes from but the image suited the smell perfectly. Thanks mum!

The Paramedics were trying to hurry me up. At the time I thought they were being mean, two total strangers asking me to get changed, who do they think they are? In fact they were doing the total opposite, they were trying to hurry me incase I had another fit. (Fits often come in clusters and happen in concession to one another, I’ve come to find in my situation). I’ve never found it so hard to put on clothes in my life. I’ve never been good at the gym but it felt as though I was lifting weights both on my arms and legs or the day after a big training session (I imagine!) ; whilst trying to cope with my brain once again trying to break out of my body; whilst I try and sort the puzzle out of what the hell is actually going on!
In the ambulance I talked absolute gobldey gook, talking absolute jibberish. This often happens to epileptics as they are trying to make sense of things and the brain is more or less rebooting and re-wiring itself. I also began to become quite aggressive. Imagine if you came out of a deep sleep and a group of strangers were hovering over you, poking you with needles and trying to put something on your face. Your first instinct would be to fight back wouldn’t it? With no feeling what so ever I ripped the IV out of my hand like the hulk and started to be quite rude. Well not quite, I did. It soon passed and I started apologising for everything, the bed wetting, the hair, the clothes, and the fit. But the paramedics had seen it all before. They must have smelt it all before too! They were kind and reassuring and didn’t leave my side until they felt I was out of harm’s way. Unfortunately this was quite a big fit and again required me to stay in hospital, with many fits coming quickly after it. Again the hospital staff were on hand to help day and night!
A few days after the fit I found it really difficult to walk and was exhausted, spending most of my time sleeping. It felt like I was wearing one of those old fashioned deep sea diving suits. Friends and family visited me at home to keep me from dying of boredom. My best friend Laura (again a long suffering friend of mine) did my make up and hair so I looked more myself... more ‘normal’.  

I guess this section of my story is to say thanks to everyone who helps. The hospital staff, best friends and family. These are the most important people. They pick you up when your down and they also live with epilepsy but in a different way, they make me laugh make me smile and they couldn’t actually care less about my epilepsy which is great! Aimee and the epilepsy are two separate entities.  Also to appreciate the epileptic individuals who suffer daily but never complain....and hopefully don’t smell of wee!


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment